8/2/06

Ball Riding Dude Feedback from Instructor

Just thought I would post up the grade and feedback my instructor gave me for the Ball Riding Dude assignment that I posted earlier. I was pretty proud of it :)


--------------------------------------

MA 265 Intermediate Animation Techniques Grading Sheet

Assignment: BouncyRidingBall

Overall Grade: A-

Grade Breakdown (1-10 where 10 is the highest possible):

- Followed Instructions:10

- Concept/Appeal: 10

- Presentation: 10

- Overall Animation Technique: 8

- Understanding of Assignment: 8

- Overall Grade: 9.2

Things to improve:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Congrats Kyle… you are the first person to get an “A” on any of my assignments!!! Wooohooo!!!!!!! To make this file THAT much better, here are a couple of things that I saw:

1) The squash and stretch of the ball is a bit off… remember, stretch into the ground, squash, stretch out, and ROUND at the top of the arc (you have it squashed). By rounding the ball out at frame 97, that might help the ik arm locks..also if you rotated the scapula down, that could help as well;)

2) The Translation Y of the ball feels like it hits a certain altitude and sits there for a bit before they fall back down. Try to round those arcs out a tad more…I love the “hang time” though.

3) The whole piece is a little “slow-mo” (ok…about ¾ speed). I only say this because you sounded like you were NOT trying to do the slow motion look…. Forget about speeding it up! It works great with the music…but it is a little “slow”. But you also did a great job of making it all work together.

4) He looks awesome! I REALLY believe that he’s riding that ball and that he loves every second of it! Great job of all the overlapping action.

Ok, I’m not going to say too much more because I don’t want your head to get too big;) But, you did do a fantastic job on this… I’d even go as far as saying that if you clean this piece up a little more, I’d put it on a reel! It shows off a lot of good things…and for such a “simple” exercise too! Keep it up!

-------------------------------------------

The clip that this grade was for is posted below