12/7/08

The First Week at Bungie

First things first... Pictures! I was able to snap some shots of a couple of the cool propaganda items they have on display.

The first is a life size, 7+ foot tall statue of the Chief. This guy is the first thing you see when you walk into the Bungie's lobby. It is very detailed and spot on with the design in the game, only the normal mapping is way, way better ;P



This is some of the gear that I'm assuming was used in the short films that Weta did prior to the release of Halo 3.
I actually did take a few more pictures of the awards and stuff that they had won, but most of them didn't turn out well due to my crappy cell phone camera.

The first week was fun, humbling and enlightening. The fact that I was working at Bungie was very exciting, but I managed to keep my composure and stay on task. All of the other contractors I am working with seem to have several years of experience under their belt and it shows in their abilities. They produce very good work very quickly. That's where the humbling part comes in, but also they are very open to sharing their knowledge and critiques which is where the enlightening part comes in. I think I've learned more in the last week than I did my entire last year of school, which isn't neccesarily the schools fault, alot of it was stuff that they just couldn't teach me, such as the in house tools. I've stayed after several nights this first week just playing with the tools and software that they have, which is something I can't really do while I'm on the clock, but it will help me get better and faster.

I'm still adjusting to the change of living in the Seattle Area. Despite the fact that I'm in a better place in my career than I thought I would be several months ago, I still miss a lot of my friends from school and my cat who is still in Idaho until January. I do like the area though, and I have a pretty cool roommate who I can see myself becoming friends with as time goes on. A lot of the people I work with are pretty cool too, and I will probably become friends with them as well, so I'm sure it is just a matter of time before I feel "settled in." To offset the lonliness, I've been focusing alot on work, which is probably healthy anyway.